Fun Food Party Recipes – Rainbow Roll
Watch as a woman shares how she made this delicious Rainbow Roll with whipped cream cheese filling!
5 egg yolks
2/3 cup granulated sugar (divided into two 1/3 cup portions)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
5 egg whites
2/3 cup cake flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons melted butter
1. Beat egg yolks until thickened and lightened, gradually add 1/3 cup of the granulated sugar, the lemon juice and the lemon zest continue to beat until thick and light yellow.
2. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form then gradually beat in the remaining 1/3 cup sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form.
3.Fold yolk mixture into whites. Sift dry ingredients into a separate container; add to egg mixture, folding in carefully. Fold in melted butter.
4. Divide batter into 6 portions and tint each portion a different colour of the rainbow.
Place batter into individual ziplock bags or a pastry bags
5. Prepare a cookie sheet by lining it with waxed or parchment paper.
6. Draw stripes with the batter onto the parchment, decide whether you want to have long lengthways (parallel) stripes or short perpendicular stripes. Keep in mind that if you make a rectangle shape you will be rolling from the long end. My cake covered about 15″x12″ and I used up almost all the batter.
7. Baked at 375F for about 10-12 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean, the cake is firm to the touch and the edges may be just the slightest bit brown (you don’t want the whole cake to be brown, that is overcooked).
8. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
Flip the cake over onto a clean damp cloth and remove the parchment paper carefully.
9. Place a second dampened cloth over the cake and flip the cake back over to expose the “good” side (side next to parchment paper).
10. Remove the top cloth and then roll up the cake into the cloth and allow to cool completely.
11. Unroll and fill with whipped cream or ice cream then re-roll cake.
12. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours to chill completely and allow the setting to set.
Whipped cream cheese filling:
4 oz (125g) cream cheese softened
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla (added this but didn’t show in the video)
3/4 cups heavy whipping cream
1. In a small bowl beat whipping cream until thick and set aside.
2. In a large bowl combine cream cheese, sugar and vanilla. Beat until smooth, then fold in whipped cream.