Dairy Free Icing Recipe
(from The Food Allergy Mama’s Baking Book)
1 cup dairy-free margarine
2 Tbsp soy milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp salt
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1. In a stand mixer or hand held mixer cream margarine, soy milk, vanilla, and salt until really mixed well.
2. Slowly add confectioners’ sugar and mix for 1 minute on low.
3. Mix on medium speed for 4 to 6 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
4. Chill for 30 minutes before using
Now that your dairy free icing has been created here is how you create the rainbow effect in your cupcakes and icing!
A. Make white cake batter and divide into 6 bowls.
B. Add Food colouring to each bowl creating red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple batter.
C. Layer the colourful batter in to lined muffin tins. Start with purple and finish with red; respecting the order of the rainbow colours. You may use a spoon to smooth out each layer.
D. BAKE! Final results should look like this:
NOW FOR THE ICING:
- Divide dairy-free icing in to six bowls
- Add gel food colouring to each bowl (using the same colours listed above for the batter)
- Layer the icing in a piping bag (if you do not have a piping bag you can create your own by cutting the corner of a Zip Loc bag).
- Squirt out some icing in to a bowl allowing the icing to fall down and mix together. Once the rainbow effect takes place pour icing on rainbow muffins.
- Add rainbow sprinkles!